FAQ Norwegian Cabin Crew Member

Who can apply?

Eligible applicants must:

⬤  Be over 20 years of age
⬤  Above 160 cm or 5’3” of height
⬤  Hold a valid working permit in the country you are applying for
⬤  Hold an unrestricted passport offering visa free entry to our destinations (or the ability to obtain a valid visa for entry)
⬤  Be able to swim
⬤  Have a clean criminal record
⬤  Comply with our tattoo policy
⬤  Documents and height will be checked at the assessment and if you do not meet the above requirements, we will unfortunately withdraw your application from the recruitment process. Your ability to swim will be tested.
⬤  We do not offer migratory sponsorship for this role.

Can I apply if I have a tattoo?

We permit tattoos if they can be covered up by the uniform.

Norwegian also allows small tattoos on hands, feet and behind ears
no larger than 0.5” X 0.5”. We do not accept visible tattoos referring
to religious, political, environmental or ideologically views.

These tattoos must be covered by the uniform.

It is your personal responsibility that the tattoos are not visible.


Can I apply if I have a piercing?

Piercings shall not be visible and must be covered by the uniform. Tongue jewelry is not permitted, neither is tongue piercing, splitting, earlobe expansion or disfiguring skin implants. For the female uniform, earrings are permitted with maximum one small round stud per earlobe.

How do I apply?

Please click on the “apply now” button on vacant positions found at our career page: https://careers.norwegian.com.

Your resume should give us enough information to know why we should hire you.
As a minimum you should always include:

  • Your personal information
  • Your updated address and country of residence
  • Your previous/current education and work experience with focus on tasks relevant for the Cabin Crew positions listed under.

A good idea is also to list key facts of competencies you hold that would make you suitable for the job you are applying to. Read the listing for the position you are applying too and try to mirror that with your own experience. Make it easy for the recruiters to see why you are the right person for the role.

Which bases are you recruiting for?

All our vacant positions and available bases will be advertised on our career pages. If you cannot find the base you are looking for, it means that we are not recruiting for that base now.
You can only apply for one base at the time, so be wary of submitting more than one application.  We allow for base transfers after 12 months of entering a position, you can always apply for a transfer later if the base you desire is not available.

Can I apply for more than one position as a Cabin Crew?

You should only apply for one role at your preferred base. If you do apply for more than one base, we will not be able to move forward with your application until you specify which base you prefer and withdraw your other applications.

Who do I contact if I need assistance with my application?

Please contact cabinrecruitment@norwegian.com

What is the difference between Cabin Crew Member and Experienced Cabin Crew Member?

⬤  You will need to fulfill the requirements listed under “Who can apply?” to be able to apply for the Cabin Crew Member role. To apply for the experienced Cabin Crew Member for our European bases, you also need to have flown more than 12 months within the last five years and hold a valid Cabin Crew Attestation (CCA). A Cabin Crew Attestation (CCA) is a certificate of professional competency which permits you to perform the duties of Cabin Crew on European Community-registered aircrafts.  
⬤  To apply for our US bases, we require you to have flown more than 12 months within the last five years and complete an Initial training course to be trained for the EASA CCA as we operate with our European Airline Operation Certificate (AOC) from the US.
⬤  For our Bangkok base, the same requirements as for US will apply.
⬤  To apply for the Experienced Cabin Crew Member in Argentina you need to hold a valid Tripulate de Cabina (TCP), a valid CMA (medical), hold an Argentinean passport and have flown more than 12 months within the last five years.

Where can I find the EU medical requirements for Cabin Crew?

Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 Aircrew, Annex IV Part-MED.                                                                                       
ED Decision 2011/015/R containing AMC and GM. 
All the referenced regulations are available on EASA website.

NOTE: This FAQ only provides an overview of the area-content covered by the individual Subparts A, C and D of the Reg. 1178/2011. The medical requirements for cabin crew are extensive in text, therefore to find the exact aspect you are looking for, you need to look through the respective Subpart of the Reg. 1178/2011, Annex IV Part-MED and the related AMC and GM (ED Decision 2011/015/R). 

Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 - Annex IV - Part-MED: https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/commission-regulation-eu-no-11782011

Subpart A, Section 1: scope, definitions, decrease in medical fitness, obligations of doctors who conduct aero-medical assessments of cabin crew, etc. 
Subpart C (all): requirements for medical fitness of cabin crew
Subpart D, Section 1: aero-medical examiners (AEM)
Subpart D, Section 3: occupational health medical practitioners (OHMP); requirements for doctors who conduct aero-medical assessments of cabin crew

ED Decision 2011/015/R contains acceptable means of compliance (AMC) and guidance material (GM) which complement the rules. The AMC and GM specify the detailed medical conditions and the related medical examinations or investigations:  https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/agency-decisions/ed-decision-2011015r

What is an Attestation?

The ‘Attestation of Initial Cabin Crew Training’ is a qualification. It is a record of initial safety training course and is recognised and approved by the Civil Aviation Authority, the European Air Safety Agency and the airlines themselves. Cabin crew will undertake this qualification at the start of their cabin crew career.

I currently hold an Attestation – how do I know if it’s valid?

Your attestation will be checked at the assessment, make sure everything is properly filled and legible. Please note that the original version needs to be presented at the assessment day.

If you cannot provide this, we will not assess you as Experienced Cabin Crew Member and you will need to do the Initial Training Course to become a Cabin Crew Member with the company.
If some of the details of your Attestation are unreadable or one of the fields is missing information, please contact your relevant authority or airline prior to your assessment.

My Attestation was issued more than five years ago. Is that a problem?

If your attestation was issued more than five years ago, you will need to provide a list of qualifications to show that you have operated as crew in the last  five years.

You will be required to provide us with a list showing us the aircraft type you have operated on and qualification period/validity. The format is illustrated below, and all fields need to be completed.

I have an Attestation, but I’ve never flown before. Can I still apply?

You can apply using your valid CCA, if it was issued within the last five years, even if you have never flown before.

What type of contracts do you offer?

We offer both permanent and temporary contracts depending on the need of the base at the time of recruitment. The type of contract offered will be specified in the listing.

Will my travel expenses going to an assessment day be reimbursed?

We will not reimburse any of your travel expenses.

Where will the assessment center be held?

The assessment center will be held at the local base you apply for. For example, if you apply for a role as a Cabin Crew Member in Copenhagen, the assessment center will be held in a location in Copenhagen. Due to the ongoing pandemic we might also use digital solutions to be able to complete the assessment. 

I was scheduled for an assessment center but could not make it. What do I do?

If you are invited to an assessment center, you should do your utmost to attend the selected date. If you for any reasons are unable to attend, please notify us as soon as possible to explore your options. If you do not get in contact with us in advance, your application will be withdrawn from the process. You will not be able to reapply.

What will the assessment day look like?

Please prepare to spend all day with us. Schedules will be handed out to you at the beginning of the day but the day will start with registration which includes height and tattoo check. There will be a company, base and role presentation followed by a group exercise and a personal interview. You will also go through document checks and uniform fitting during the day.

What should I wear to the assessment day?

If you are interviewing either by video or in-person, you might want some tips on how to dress. For inspiration, you should always try to consider the way our Cabin Crew Members dress and wear clean and professional clothing be well dressed. Here are some additional tips:

For women:

⬤  Two-piece suite, with either skirt or pants, or tailored shift dress
⬤  Skirts should be mid-calf or knee-length
⬤  Dark professional colors such as black, navy or gray
⬤  Smart shoes such as flats, pumps or heals with a sensible height

For men:

⬤  Two-piece suit and tie
⬤  Dark professional colors such as black, navy or gray
⬤  Smart shoes and dark socks
⬤  Clean-shaven or neatly trimmed beard or mustache

When will I know the outcome of my application?

As soon as we have done all the necessary background checks you will be informed of the outcome of your application. Please note that the processing time post-interview can take a while, but the recruitment team do work to make every process as quick as possible.

If I am unsuccessful, when can I re-apply?

You can re-apply 12 months after you get the unsuccessful notice.

If I am successful when can I start?

If you are successful after your assessment and background check, we will notify you by email. Once you accept our offer proposal, we will contact you and inform of your course date and contract. Thereafter we will start your personal history check (in some bases a third-party company will conduct the checks and you will be contacted by them to provide your pre-employment history).
You will be asked to provide comprehensive documentation for the last five years in all countries you have been working, living, studying. Gaps over 28 days must also be documented with a gap letter. You will also need to provide us with your criminal record check (CRC). You will then need to have a medical check by an aeronautical doctor to get your Medical license issued to start the Initial training course for Cabin Crew.  

I have booked vacation before starting the job, will that be granted?

For the duration of the training course annual leave cannot be taken. You can request leave once you join, but please be aware that even though we will do our best to accommodate your request we might not be able to grant it.

Can I request specific days off?

You can request days off so they can be clustered or spread out. This is not guaranteed but we will do our best to accommodate your requests. Some of our bases have fixed patterns where you will be scheduled with a cluster of days working, then a cluster of days off automatically.

How long is the training period?

When you join as Cabin Crew Member you will be offered an Initial Training Course followed by an Operator Conversion Course. If you are experienced, you will be offered a conversion course.  The training will last for four weeks for Initial Course & Conversion Course, or two weeks if attending only Conversion Course. During these four weeks you will study for your Cabin Crew Attestation (CCA). You will have some online training, some classroom training and practical training in a cabin environment. Training could be scheduled over weekends and days off can vary.

Does the training have any cost?

No, the training does not cost anything for you. You will get paid a basic salary for the duration of the training.

Where will my training take place?

Your ground training will most likely be held in your new home base but could be scheduled in one of the company’s other bases. Based on availability of our training facilities. Your practical training will be held in one of our facilities where we have access to a mockup. Transport and overnight stays will be covered by Norwegian during your training if you need to go out of your base. You will receive your schedule prior to starting the training course with all the necessary information.

What will my roster be like?

Your roster will vary depending on the base and fleet you join. Most of our rosters are variable, starting from eight days off in Long Haul and up to 12 days off in Short-Haul each month in your home base. Days off out of base will not count in this number.

For our Short-Haul fleet you can be going out on a round trip and be back the same day in or you can have a Z pattern with multiple layovers.

For our Long-Haul fleet, you will work a variable roster and can be scheduled up to nine consecutive days out of base, where you will have some rest time down route.

How long are the lay overs?

The length of the stop will vary, all depending on rest time, flight schedules etc.

Which aircraft will I be flying?

For our Short Haul network, you will be flying the Boeing 737-800 or the 737 MAX.

Where will I be flying?

On our Long-Haul fleet you will fly from Europe to USA, South America and Asia or the other way around. Our Short Haul fleet operates primarily in Europe and to Dubai, our Transatlantic routes operates from Ireland to East coast USA and Canada.

Can I decide which flight I will operate?

You can request preferred flights each month, but please keep in mind that we are not able to grant all request that are made.  

How many hours will I be working per month as a cabin crew?

Your workhours might vary slightly from month to month, but an average of 65 hours active flying can be expected. The hours might be higher in peak seasons.  

What will my salary be?

Your salary will be based on the local conditions in the country you are employed. The salary will be composed of a fixed part and a variable part connected to the amount of flying duty. More information regarding terms and conditions will be given at the assessment day.  

How will I have to wear my hair if I am hired?

Hair shall be well groomed and well maintained to complete the uniform. Dyed hair must be of a natural color for both genders. Women with hair shorter than the top of the shoulder can keep it loose and neatly styled. Hair reaching below the top of the shoulder shall be tied neatly up or in a single ponytail, plait or braid. Men’s hair must be a conventional style and suitable for a professional environment. Extreme hairstyles are not permitted.

What about transportation, hotel and meals on layovers?

Norwegian will provide transportation to and from the airport on layovers as well as accommodation in one of our crew hotels. You will also get a meal allowance provided from Norwegian.

Staff tickets

After three months of working for Norwegian you will be entitled to staff discount tickets which can be used all over our network.